CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

It's been a while...

Yes it's been 2 years since I posted anything on this blog. I know, not a committed blogger. I've decided to do better. Through this I can keep everyone up to date on Morrison's Occupational Therapy and what goes on in our day to day lives. So here it goes...
I last posted Morrison had turned 2 and we visited KidSenses. Well she turned 4 a couple of weeks ago and we had her party at Kidsenses. :) She is growing up so fast, too fast. I take her to therapy every Tuesday morning for her eating issues. Baby steps...that's all we can do right now and I'll take that. She is easing into smelling foods and touching them more. She tried rice for the first time two weeks ago. This was major! She did dip it into the easy mac powdered cheese but hey...she ate it! She has eaten it a couple of times since. Last Tuesday she tried a new fruit bar from Aldi. Needless to say I ran right to Aldi to buy 3 boxes of them right after therapy! The therapist thinks that M will continue to go atleast 8 more weeks and we've been going that long or longer. 


I know with time she will start to eat...I know that others feel the same way. Some think she's just picky, others think she is spoiled and I don't make her eat or just give in to the sweet cravings. 
I knew her eating habits were different at 4-8 months old. It took me one year to get her to eat the 2 baby foods she did eat. Her doctor told me to cut her off of the baby food at 2 years old cold turkey to see if she would eat or try anything. 2 1/2 days and many tears later I had to give in and feed her the rice cereal with pears. She was then given medication to make her hungry yet she only wanted to eat more of the baby food, cheese puffs or chips or chocolate. 


So here we are in OT yeah who would've thought it...I'm trying to be as proactive as I can before she starts kindergarten. She now packs her own lunch each day in her new personalized lunch bags that were given to her by our friends, Carmen and Karen, that she loooves! She packs a yogurt or push up yogurts each morning...sometimes a boost, yoohoo or yogurt smoothie, along with some kind of chips. She thinks she's something else packing it on her own! 


Like I said she turned 4 on April 7th. She didn't eat her cake but as with every year I hope she will eat it the next birthday. There are days that are tougher than others. The doctors once said that this could consume our lives.  It has. She worries about what there is to eat or if we are going to a restaurant and if her lunch bag is packed. She has anxiety about her next meal and tells me she wants to eat one day, she just can't right now.


I "talk" to God about it a lot in hopes that something will just click one day in her little mind...that she will one day be able to order from a menu or even eat nuggets at CFA. Last weekend a five year old girl died of an inoperable brain tumor and my good friend's son was airlifted two times due to seizures. As my sister Angie said, I'm glad Morrison doesn't eat. I know that we are blessed and that it could always be worse. It may be petty but to us we just want her to be healthy and for her to continue to be challenged and develop. Right now we can just take one day and one Tuesday morning at a time. 
I will try to be a more committed blogger...which will make it easier to keep you updated on her therapy and hopefully what she tried or ate for the first time! 

0 comments: